Great Hall Gamers Forum
Great Hall Gamers Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "'Do your worst?' That's all I've been doing!" The New Bee

CWC Game on 8/22
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Announcements & Useful Information -> After Action ReportsMessage format

DontFearDaReaper
Posted 2010-08-23 10:21 AM (#776)
Subject: CWC Game on 8/22

Ultimate Veteran

We had 5 players for a CWC game yesterday. Chris Arnold brought 2000 points of 1978 Americans. Chris Dingly brought his Egyptians (At least I think they were Egyptians - we pointed them up as generic Warpac 2 and Chris decided to run them as Bulgarians) Brad and I split up a 2000 Soviet army built out of William's Spetznatz/paratrooper force and Rob's Syrians (I really need to paint up some Warsaw Pact for myself soon).

We decided to play a counter-attack scenario with the Warsaw Pact as the attackers. Chris D. pointed up 1000 point Warsaw Pac 2 force as an allied force. He had two companies of T-54/55's, a reinforced motorized rifle company and a single battery of rocket artillery. On the Soviet side, Brad had two companies of T-64's (early model) and I had a motorized rifle company reinforced with an anti-tank company of suitcase saggers. All of my troops were running around in BTR-152's. I don't remember what Chris's infantry rode in but it was something similar.

The Americans had a company of M-60A2's and a company of M60A1's. In addition he had a reinforced company of mechanized infantry with two platoons of SP 81mm mortars and the force had two platoons of on-board 4.2" mortar platoons in support. We had the option for airpower but with only 2000 points, I opted against it.

The terrain board had 3 urban blocks connected by a paved road. Across the center of the board was a fordable river (this kept ATGW's honest as they had to cross the river to shoot at the enemy - you can't fire ATGW's across a body of water or over a high-power line).

The Americans set up with their infantry in a large copse of woods on their right flank. The M60A1's set up in one of the BUA's in the center of their line and the M60A2's set up hull down on a ridge line on their left flank.

Brad's Soviet armor set up opposite the M60A2's and had a considerable advantage since his main guns could fire across he river without penalty and the A2's missiles were stymied by the river and the 152mm howitzers was too short ranged to particpate in a long-range gun duel with the T-64's.

My motorized infantry force was set up to dash into a town that was across the river from where the A1's were deployed. Chris D's force tried for a sweeping end around attack against the American infantry on our left flank.

A word or two about terrain at this point. We had lots and lots of it for this game and I think it really makes for a better game than an open field battle were you just plug away at each other from 80-100 cm away. I think my rule for CWC terrain from now on will be "bou-coup + plenty = enough"

It didn't take long for the Americans to figure out what we were up to and start adjusting their deployment. The M60A2's lost a platoon to long range tank fire and they pulled off the ridge and manuvered around to take up positions in the town where the A1's were deployed. I decided it was suicide to try and assault the town, even under the cover of smoke so my force manuevered to our left to support Chris D's attack on the American infantry.

The M60A1's decided they needed to move to support their infantry but they got caught by Brad's T-64's. Brad managed to kill the A1's but got mauled in the process by the A1's return fire and supporting fire from the A2's. Two surviving platoons of one of Brad's company's broke off and advanced into the Americans rear area and started popping the SP 81mm mortar platoons.

There was some real fun over on our left flank as my infantry actually made it to the woods the American infantry was hiding in. The American infantry assaulted us and I lost a platoon of infantry and Chris A had a number of infantry platoons supressed after the fight (which was a lot of fun to dice out).

After that Chris D. ordered his rocket battery to fire on the Americans in the woods but the salvo scattered in a way where everyone in the woods (including my company) got attacked. I lost a BTR-152 and a sagger platoon to friendly fire but almost every American unit in the woods was suppressed including the force commander. Chris D's infantry advanced to support the chewed up remnants of my company and we soon had the Americans on the run and taking heavy casualties. While all this was going on, Chris D's T-54/55's advanced over a hill on our far left flank and found two SP 4.2" mortar platoons which Chris crushed into little bite-sized capitolist pieces.

At the end of turn 6, we had suffered 25% casualties (a minor American victory condition) and we had done the same to the Americans. The Soviet force was 4 points from breaking and the US was 1 point from breaking. On turn 7 we managed to get the US to break point but they made their morale role. On turn 8 we managed to bag 3 more US units and they missed their morale roll at the start of their turn 8. They met the conditions for a minor victory and we had met the conditions for a major victory which translated into an overall Soviet minor victory.

This battle was a ton of fun and we all had a great time. I didn't even mention all the blunders (Chris had two and Brad had one). It was a see-saw battle that could have gone either way all the way to the end of the game. If the US had passed their turn 8 morale test they could have easily broken the Soviet force which would have ended the game in a bloody draw.

Thanks to everyone who came out to play. It was a blast!!

Dave da treadhead

Top of the page Bottom of the page
carnold1836
Posted 2010-08-23 10:41 AM (#778 - in reply to #776)
Subject: Re: CWC Game on 8/22

Hardened Veteran

I have been telling everyone I can that this individual game event was the MOST fun I have EVER had playing ANY miniatures game. I love the system already and can't wait to get into another scrum with my valiant hombres of the 1st Texas Armored Brigade of the 49th Armored Division.

In looking back now at deployment, I hadn't realized the M60A2s would be so hobbled by their placement. If I had known better I would have swapped them with the A1s. I think things may have gone a little differently there. Also I need to add LAW rocket upgrades to at LEAST half my infantry stands and probably spread them out more.

All in all though I think John Oliver and I did a pretty good job for two guys who have NEVER played CWC before. And as I said, I CAN'T wait to get the next gam in.
carnold1836
Posted 2010-08-23 4:54 PM (#786 - in reply to #778)

Hardened Veteran

Dave, you forgot to mention the T-54/55 platoon that was suppressed by a rifle platoon with only M-16s and hand grenades.
cdingley
Posted 2010-08-23 7:14 PM (#787 - in reply to #776)

Hardened Veteran

My favorite point of the game was that gi-normous artillery attack on the woods, landing on friend and foe alike (sorry 'bout that, Dave). Imagine that scene in Braveheart when the king orders his archers to shoot into the entire melee, but this time with rockets instead of arrows! It was THAT awesome!

I hadn't played CWC in about a year or so, but this game reminded me how much I love the game.

And I'm definitely buying a lot more rocket launchers after this.
DontFearDaReaper
Posted 2010-08-23 9:34 PM (#788 - in reply to #786)

Ultimate Veteran

carnold1836 - 2010-08-23 6:54 PM

Dave, you forgot to mention the T-54/55 platoon that was suppressed by a rifle platoon with only M-16s and hand grenades.

That was pretty epic and it must have discombobulated the other tank platoon cause they blundered after that and took off in the wrong direction.

Dave da treadhead
cdingley
Posted 2010-08-24 5:11 AM (#792 - in reply to #776)

Hardened Veteran

Well, blunder is my middle name, after all.
DontFearDaReaper
Posted 2010-08-24 5:49 AM (#793 - in reply to #792)

Ultimate Veteran

cdingley - 2010-08-24 7:11 AM

Well, blunder is my middle name, after all.

At least you waited until after you had smoked those two 4.2" mortar platoons before you started your "Dance of the Boxcars"

Dave da treadhead
carnold1836
Posted 2010-08-24 6:34 AM (#797 - in reply to #776)

Hardened Veteran

But the 4.2" mortars weren't the ones that laid down the hate, the 81s were the ones that hit so hard 3 actions in a row.
cdingley
Posted 2010-08-24 8:28 AM (#802 - in reply to #776)

Hardened Veteran

Hey, when are we going to see pictures of the game?
DontFearDaReaper
Posted 2010-08-24 8:56 AM (#803 - in reply to #802)

Ultimate Veteran

cdingley - 2010-08-24 10:28 AM

Hey, when are we going to see pictures of the game?

I'm sure Rob will post up an album when he gets a chance. Sadly, I forgot to bring my camera that day.

Dave da Leanderthal
DontFearDaReaper
Posted 2010-08-27 9:27 AM (#873 - in reply to #803)

Ultimate Veteran

Ok, check out the first post in the thread. Rob posted up the pictures and I have seeded them into the battle report.

Dave da treadhead
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)