Great Hall Gamers Forum
Great Hall Gamers Forum
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Gentlemen, get the thing straight once and for all: the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder." —Mayor Richard J. Daley

Making of Plevna: 1, 2, 3
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Announcements & Useful Information -> Painting and ModelingMessage format

GHG-Rob
Posted 2016-06-23 12:01 PM (#23667)
Subject: Making of Plevna: 1, 2, 3

Elite Veteran

So, Dave and I have all the minis we need to play 2nd and 3rd Battles of Plevna, a couple of the major battles of the Russo-Turkis war of 1877. A while ago, we ordered some rubber mat material, of the type you might use to put on a workout room floor to cussion the drop of weights and ease the stress on your joints while (shudder) exercising. While I think these will look great, I would not choose this material again. It is very heavy and sort of hard to cut. I ended up with a blister trying to cut it with heavy scissors. Eventually, I was able to find some tin snips and an exacto knife that did the job.

Anyway, here we go...

1.Here is the map we are recreating...

2. Three levels of rubber mat on the game table, ready for marking and cutting.

2. I marked out 1' squares and then using the map above, sketched the first level contours lines with chalk.

3. Here are the first few sections cut out and laid on the base.

4. Fortunately, I had a supervisor.

5. Here are all the first level contours laid out.

6. Here is the final result, with the second and third level contours laid out.

Now to start painting. To help me a bit with the look and feel of the terrain, i overlaid the BBB map onto GoogleMaps. Gives me an idea of the fields, etc., just for interest.

Will post follow-ups as I make progress.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
farquard
Posted 2016-06-23 12:44 PM (#23668 - in reply to #23667)
Subject: Re: Making of Plevna: 1, 2, 3

Hardened Veteran

Looks very cool!
DontFearDaReaper
Posted 2016-06-23 3:18 PM (#23669 - in reply to #23667)

Ultimate Veteran

Excellent work Rob!!!
benoflamancha
Posted 2016-06-24 5:58 AM (#23671 - in reply to #23669)

Veteran

That's such a fantastic idea, and just as cool in its execution.

I can't see doing it for all but the most popular battles or the ones that make good demo games for conventions and whatnot, but since there were no few battles fought around Plevna, it makes perfect sense.
Gettysburg is another that would make sense, to be sure, given it's size, scope, and popularity. Konniggratz, maybe, Solferino or Sedan, that sort of thing.

It also looks you had some valuable supervision/moral support, I'm glad the mats were thoroughly tested for comfort!
Francisco
Posted 2016-06-25 7:34 PM (#23679 - in reply to #23667)

Elite Veteran

Wow.... very cool !
RazorMind
Posted 2016-06-26 11:49 AM (#23681 - in reply to #23679)

Ultimate Veteran

Keep posting, this is interesting/
GHG-Rob
Posted 2016-06-26 4:48 PM (#23682 - in reply to #23667)
Subject: RE: Making of Plevna: 1, 2, 3

Elite Veteran

So, here is Phase 2:

Having cut out the elevations, we are ready to paint. A trip to the Home Depot resulted in 5 gallons of custom paint. (I know, 5 gallons?! How many coats do I plan? Well, they were on sale. So gallons were cheaper than quarts!).

1. First coat begins. Took a total of three coats, so its a good thing I bought a gallon of the base color!

Since the battles were in July and September, we decided on a burnt grass color.

2. This is after the second coat. You can still see a little variation in the color, so went for a third.

3. Here are the main terrain features, the woods and vineyards pained on and the rivers applied with chalk to start.

4. Now we have the rivers painted in, along with the streams and decorative terrain. Only the woods, vineyards, rivers, streams and built up areas have effects in the game. All of the fields and brush are just decorative.

("Why is the road white?" you may ask. Well, it seems that the most common method of creating paved roads at this time was severl layers of stone, largest on the bottom, then medium sized ontop of that, then crushed stone or gravel on top (macadam). Hence, 19th c. accounts of marching soldiers covered in white dust at the end of the day. Was the Plevna road network macadamed? I dunno, but seems reasonable.)

5. When I put the troops out, it all seemed a little too bright and clean, and the troops were very dark, by contrast. So I did an umber wash over the whole thing. Its a little hard to tell in the photo, except around the contour lines. The left side is after the wash.

6. Here is the Russian force deployed for 2nd Plevna, viewed from the north, looking south.

9th Cavalry Division in foreground, IX Corps on the left, XI Corps and General Shakhofskoi in the far left and Skobelev's Cossack far center.

7. Close up of Shakhoskoi and XI Corps.

8. Close up of Skobelev's Cossacks and supporting battery.

View of the Cossacks with XI Corps in the distance.

9. 9th Cavalry Division (Uhlans and Cossacks)

10. IX Corps (Reserve formations are on the edge of the table in the back.)

Well, that's it for this weekend.

Part 3 - Making the 3D features: Plevna town, villages, forts, emplacements and rifle pits.

DontFearDaReaper
Posted 2016-06-26 6:38 PM (#23683 - in reply to #23682)

Ultimate Veteran

Seriously cool. Can't wait to trot my Turks out onto that beautiful map.

Dave da gamer
RazorMind
Posted 2016-06-26 7:20 PM (#23685 - in reply to #23683)

Ultimate Veteran

Great job Rob!
richard
Posted 2016-06-27 7:47 AM (#23687 - in reply to #23667)

Foam board.. much easier... and build in thirds or quarters for easy transport..

Been there .. done that.. discovered dozens of ways to screw up
GHG-Rob
Posted 2016-06-27 8:06 AM (#23688 - in reply to #23667)

Elite Veteran

Well, all the hills come off and roll up, which was the plan. The only problem with the final product choice is the weight!

And, now that I have a dedicated gaming room, i can leave it up until I am tired of it!
GHG-Rob
Posted 2016-07-18 12:22 PM (#23748 - in reply to #23667)

Elite Veteran

Part III

Well, I finally got around to building fortifications and buildings. I thought for a while about the fortifications, and here is what I came up with.

Fortifications

Sculpy (an oven-hardened hobby clay) and plastic sheets are the materials I used for the turf forts, entrenchments and rifle pits necessary for fighting Plevna.

I started by molding the rifle pits and embankements and baking them on a cookie sheet.

The embankments are in essence triancular cross sections of clay that are 4" long. The rifle pits are little cresents of clay, representing earth thrown up in isolated berms.

The fort was more involved.

I made a jig with a 4" x 4" plastic base. Then I cut out and taped together two 3" x 3" pieces of foamcore. I glued the foamcore to the plastic base. Now I have a jig on which to build the earthen forts. (On the right of the image below.)

I then applied Sculpy all around the edge, building it up well above the two layers of foamcore. When it was a nicely shaped, four-sided berm, I then sliced off the top even with the foamcore. Finally I gently used an exacto knife to cut the sculpy away from the jig and placed it on the cookie pan. I adjusted the shape to get it back into square and then baked it for 15 minutes at 275 degrees F, per instructions.

Finally, the now hardened turf was placed on another 4" x 4" plastic sheet with a single level of foamcore in the middle, to lift the defending troops to a higher level.

Now I attached the entrenchment berms to 4" x 1.5" pieces of plastic (leaving a 1" space between them) and the little rifle pit nubs on 4" x 1.25" plastic.

Here are the rifle pits, showing that each stand has a pile of "dirt" in front of it.

These are the entrenchments.

The three fortifications deployed on the table. Easy to differentiate.

Painted them the color of the dirt elsewhere on the map (the vineyards mainly).

Then washed them with brown to make them blend better with the table. Notice the black dots that were added to the rifle pits to simulate the actual pits.

Troops deployed in the fortifications.

Battlefield with fortifications painted and deployed, including their defenders.

Towns

I decided for the towns to use 6mm card stock buildings. I still have some work to do on the Plevna base, but you'll get the idea.

I assembled the buildings from kits purchased from Scott Washburn's Paper Terrain web site.

Cut out some buildings and assemble them.

I printed out some brick pattern and mounted them on 4" x 4" plastic sheet.

Then, I applied some plastic sidewalks, pained some green grass over the bricks and builts some more houses.

For the villages, there is just one building, per the rules.

Here is the whole setup. You can see Plevna toward the top center. Then each village has one building.

Final Touches

There are some final touches I need to complete before the Millennium Convention in November:

1. Vineyards - hedges are substituting in these images.
  2. Bridges - I have some paper ones, but they seem pretty complex. Dave's are pretty good, but I need some of my own. Will see about some that I can order, maybe.
  3. Autumn Trees - for 3rd Plevna, in September, we'll mix in a few orange, red and brown trees.

Well, that's it for now.

Vonkristein
Posted 2016-07-21 12:38 AM (#23755 - in reply to #23667)

New User

Hi Rob.

The terrian looks great. What seize do you use for the bases.

/Morten.
GHG-Rob
Posted 2016-07-21 6:24 AM (#23756 - in reply to #23667)

Elite Veteran

We mount infantry, cav and artillery all on 1 inch square bases.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)